Monday, September 23, 2013

[Nick Carter] 'I Was Programmed To Drink': Nick Carter Admits Trying Alcohol At Age Two

The Backstreet Boys star tells all in a new book

Nick Carter has revealed he had his first alcoholic drink at just two years old and blames his parents' heavy drinking as reasons for his downward spiral into addiction later in life.

The Backstreet Boys star lifts the lid on his long-term battle with alcohol and drug addiction in his new autobiography 'Facing the Music and Living to Talk About It', in which he recalls his early experiences living above a bar owned by his parents Jane and Robert Carter.

Nick believes he was "programmed to drink" as the temptation of alcohol beckoned him from an early age after watching his parents.

"In one home movie, my cousin and I are acting as if we were going out to a bar like two adults,” he writes.

"We danced and feigned we were partying. Looking back at how alcohol was part of our playtime, I realise just how deeply my parents’ drinking affected me. It was as if I was programmed to drink.”

During his teenage years the star admits he lived life recklessly and quickly began smoking marijuana, which later spiraled into cocaine, ecstasy and prescription painkiller abuse.

After a DUI charge in 2005 and numerous stints with counselling, the star claims he only got worse.

He recalled: "I partied like it was my last night on Earth. … I drank like I was trying to drown the demons inside my body. Then I did enough blow to make up for the six months I’d stayed clean.”

Nick only reached sobriety after he was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, a weakening of the heart, in 2008 as a result of his reckless lifestyle but he admits he still "slips" up where alcohol is concerned.

Nick's siblings have also had their fair share of problems, as his younger brother Aaron checked into rehab in 2011 for "emotional and spiritual" issues, while his sister Leslie died aged 25 from a suspected prescription drug overdose last February.

Originally posted by Entertainmentwise

Subscribe to ..::We Love AJ McLean::.. by Email

No comments: